I’ve compiled some facts about my city some “kabayans” back home might find interesting and maybe unbelievable. Unless of course they have OFW relatives.
1. A liter of water cost twice as much the price of a liter of gasoline.
2. Almost each block has a gasoline station but it’s difficult to refill your tank if your vehicle runs on diesel.
3. It’s normal to drive at a speed of 100 kph inside the city.
4. Everywhere you go you find malls and their still planning and building bigger malls.
5. The city zoo has viewing schedule for women and children and another for men only.
6. There is no “tingi”. You have to buy the whole box, for example medicine containing 24 tablets, when all you need is 2 for your headache.
7. Electricity is ten times cheaper per kilowatt-hour than what MERALCO is charging.
8. They have several words for “rain”.
9. Greetings among relatives are like rituals. It takes sometimes just to say hello to a family.
10. Gold jewelries are not priced according to craftsmanship but by weight in gold.
11. They also believe in spirits and sorcery.
12. There are no cinemas, theaters or cable TV.
13. Locals prefer tea than coffee.
14. Women are not allowed to drive.
15. They use vehicle to herd camels and sheep.
16. Only citizens and companies are allowed to own a pick-up truck.
17. They treat luxury cars (Porche, Rollsroyce, Lamborghini etc.) like any other car.
18. They don’t put markers (tombstone) on their cemetery.
… and a lot more but its religious in nature.